- Worldwide, women live an average four years longer than men.
- In 2011, women’s life expectancy at birth was more than 80 years in 46 countries, but only 58 years in the WHO African Region.
- Girls are far more likely than boys to suffer sexual abuse.
- Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among adolescent girls in high- and upper-middle-income countries.
- Almost all (99%) of the approximate 287 000 maternal deaths every year occur in developing countries.
- Globally, cardiovascular disease, often thought to be a “male” problem, is the number one killer of women.
- Breast cancer is the leading cancer killer among women aged 20–59 years worldwide